• The purpose of the competency rule is to assure that the witness who is testifying understands and can obey the oath to tell the truth.
• The competency of a challenged witness is determined by the trial court as a matter of law.
• When the competency to testify is placed in issue it is the duty of the trial court to schedule a hearing in order to properly determine whether the witness is in fact competent to testify.
• A trial court's determination a child is competent to testify will only be reversed for an abuse of discretion.
• The defendant has the burden of establishing that the witness is not competent.